Monday, January 16, 2006

My Sheep * hear * my voice

"My sheep hear my voice". That's pretty clear. Are you his sheep? Jesus voice is going out. And we can hear it. In fact, it is a mark of sheepdom that we do hear his voice.

"I will sup with him and he with me". It would be strange to come over for dinner, and not say anything. Unless you view Jesus as some kind of monk who has taken a vow of silence, which would be an odd thing for someone known as the Word. He may have said everything he has to say to the world, but what about the things he wants to say to you?!

"My Father and I will come, and make our home in him". Kind of odd to come over to someone's house, and not at least say "hi". Kind of like the two Darryls on Newhart? I don't think so!

"The Spirit expressly speaks..." The Spirit... speaks. The Spirit... speaks. The Spirit... speaks. He's a speaker! Private, and public.

The Spirit is given to us. The divine author of Scripture. The regenerator. The one who raised our Lord from the dead. The One who knows the mind of the Lord.

He thinks, speaks, empowers, expresses, lives with us, talks with us, helps us pray, guides our hearts, reveals the truth of God's word so that it becomes living, rather than a "dead" letter, brings liberty, creates fellowship, brings warmth, and comfort, directs, guides, reproves, rebukes, exhorts, anoints us, frees us, cleanses us, protects us, warns us, inspires us, regenerates, renews, and enables us.

And He's not mute!

How could you possibly expect to have intimate fellowship and communion with a person for years, and for him to never say anything? The question is not, "is God speaking"? It is, "are we listening!".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home